The first level of your scuba training is the most exciting class! You get to take your first breath under water. I will show you how to safely assemble your SCUBA gear, enter the water, clear your mask, and use your fins. Take your time and learn at your own pace. Once you are comfortable and have mastered the skills, we get to go diving.
1. Academic: In the academic portion of your training you watch a three hour DVD and read the Open Water Diver Manual. You may watch the video at home, study at your own pace. After you have studied call me and we'll schedule a class time for you. I'll go over everything with you to make sure you understand all the material. You'll have to take four short quizzes and an easy 50-question final exam. The academic portion takes about 8 hours. You study at home for 4 hours and with me for another 4 hours. Call me and I'll bring you the materials you need to start your underwater adventure.
If you learn the PADI dive tables and study all 5 chapters, you may
skip class and just take the quizzes and final exam.
2. Pool: This is the fun part where you'll learn and practice your new scuba skills. You'll have plenty of time to get comfortable underwater and play with your SCUBA gear. I'll even bring an underwater camera so you may take pictures. We do the pool training in a large indoor heated pool. There are 3 four hour pool sessions included in the price. Scuba certification is performance based you may not need all three sessions. http://www.gallatinciviccenter.com
3. Scuba Dive: This is the best part, you will actually go SCUBA diving with your instructor. You'll complete four Checkout dives* . These 4 dives are completed over 2 days. During the dives you will demonstrate the skills you learned in the pool. I believe the best way to learn to SCUBA dive is by actually diving. I emphasize diving, maximize your time underwater practicing Scuba diving. Each day you'll spend about 3 hours at the scuba quarry. I have scuba training dives most every weekend in the Summer. Download and print PADI Skills for Open water Dives.
PADI scuba lessons
are taught in 3 parts; Academic, Pool Training, and Diving.
Prices are based on 2 or more students. Private classes cost $100 extra per session.
1. For the academic portion you
need the video and book, you may study at home at your own pace. The videos
take about 3 hours to watch. Just follow along with the book completing
the end-of-chapter study questions. We'll schedule a time so I may teach you a little more and go over all the
material to make sure you understand everything, this will take about 4 hours.
You'll take four 10 question quizzes and a 50 question final exam. Don't
worry; it is very easy everyone passes. I'll make sure you’re well
prepared for the test.
2. For the pool training, I
Gallatin Civic Center
pool. It's a very large indoor heated pool. You learn scuba
skills, practice diving and have fun getting used to breathing underwater. The
skills you learn in the pool are the skills you'll have to demonstrate while on
4 actual SCUBA dives (Checkout dives). In the winter we go to warmer water,
Panama City Beach, Key Largo or even a cheap weekend trip to Mexico.
3. You must complete 4 checkout dives to
become a PADI certified scuba diver.
You have three options to complete the four checkout dives.
Complete certification in TN.
Take the Class and Pool now and complete
your certification with me in TN as soon as the local scuba waters get
warm enough to dive. The advantage to this is it is less expensive than a FL
trip, and you may come to the pool every time I have a pool session.
Practice your scuba skills and have
fun in the pool all winter. Complete Certification price includes all the scuba
equipment, classroom, pool sessions and 4 local checkout scuba dives. The
only thing not included is the entrance fee to the local scuba quarry, about
The only thing not included is the entrance fee to the local scuba quarry, about $20.
Panama City FL Trip and PADI lessons. Get Certified in Florida, dive the Gulf or natural fresh water springs close to Panama City Beach. In the winter we go south for warmer water to complete the 4 checkout dives. A Panama City FL certification trip cost an additional fees and includes, entrance fee to the State park for a 2-tank Jetties Dive, or a 2-tank boat dive in the Gulf or four scuba dives at one of the local fresh water Natural Springs. Panama City Beach is only an 8-hour drive has many wrecks and artificial reefs and is one of the premiere wreck diving sites in the United States.
not much more, once you add in your gas and food and hotel for a FL trip, you
can get certified in the warm sunny Caribbean water. There are many inexpensive
all-inclusive specials flying out of Nashville. I'll find the best deal
on a Keys or a Cozumel trip and you can go on a Certification Vacation. There may be
additional Caribbean certification costs depending on the location + price of
You may complete a PADI referral. This is not a complete certification. You take the class and pool with me here and I send you to another instructor for your final certification. You complete the 4 checkout dives while on you’re vacation. I'll give you all the paperwork for you to take to the PADI instructor who will charge you between $200 and $300. The disadvantage is while on vacation you are demonstrating skills to an instructor who is not familiar with your abilities. The advantage is you get to dive while on vacation.